Food: Asia and Food: Home Cookin' and japan21 Jun 2011 08:00 pm

There is a lot of weird candy here in Japan. I have a number of care packages waiting to go out from here full of the weird stuff. I am just waiting on that Canada Post strike to end. I hope it is okay sitting here in the heat and humidity…

However, one of the newest fads in kids candy – one of the weirdest sectors of the Japanese candy market – is “at home cooking.” It is effectively molecular gastronomy for children.

The series of Popin’ Cookin’ candy has a bunch of different items you make at home using water, gelatin and sometimes your microwave. These include ramen, gyoza and even sushi. I found this video recently which gives an absolutely amazing look at the packages.

I did not care to drop $3 on sugar and water that I might not be able to prepare properly because of my illiteracy, but after watching the video I might give it a go. How the ikura or salmon roe is prepared is gobsmacking.

postscript: I just have to revel in my slowly decreasing level of illiteracy actually. I just read the title of the sushi box and it translates to “enjoy mr. sushi” or “tanoshi sushi-ya san”

6 Responses to “popin’ cookin’ “sushi” candy: molecular gastronomy for kids”

1. on 22 Jun 2011 at 4:58 am Lael

Wow,I think I need to play with that…

2. on 23 Jun 2011 at 1:55 am Kate

Two things. One. I still don’t understand how you find these things on the Internet. For literally any real life situation, happening, or random grocery item… you always find the most perfect link.

Two. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT. I NEED TO MAKE JELLO IKURA SUSHI NOW.

3. on 24 Jun 2011 at 6:56 am Mark

Seriously!? I SO want one of those.

4. on 24 Jun 2011 at 10:37 am KatyBelle

Soooooooo cute! I want to make jelly salmon roe!

5. on 12 Aug 2011 at 6:22 pm aimee

im from the uk so i cant find any web site that sells them in pounds (£) HELP!!!!!!!
    they are SOOOOO cute ! ! ! i love anything small and pretty and i’ve watched the videos on you tube and the tiny kitchen stuff is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. on 20 Dec 2011 at 12:40 am xyloscope

the jello ikura is probably made by process of spherification a well known process in molecular gastronomy. very easy to make!