Food: Asia and japan and Travels18 Nov 2010 09:59 pm

This is a mini tour of Nishiki Market, a pretty touristy but very functional market in Kyoto.

Kyoto is known for its kyotosukemono; locally grown and produced pickles.

More pickles, this time to sample.

Unagi or anago; freshwater or saltwater eel, I cannot remember. Maybe someone can read the signs?

This is the season for chestnuts. The smell took me back to when I was first living overseas in east England when I was 10. My dad took me to Norwich on a particularly snowy day and everywhere, they were roasting chestnuts. It was something out of a Christmas card.

Lots of bubbling tanks keeping many creatures alive for purchase.

A single mushroom for about $25. These were not even the expensive matsutake (pine) mushrooms. The ones that were 30,000 Yen were not for photographing.

There are two kinds of matsutake, the best quality that are grown locally in Japan, and other that are grown in Taiwan, Korea or other countries and imported. These ones in the photo are the “real thing.”

Real wasabi root

Grilled mochi. It takes on a completely different texture when grilled, I hear.

Awesome beer ads

Overview of the covered market

Oden pieces steaming up

Lots of produce and various other Japanese ingredients. Despite all the people clicking photos, life was very much business as usual here as little grannies pushed through to get their items.

Mike got a home brewed ginger soda

5 Responses to “nishiki market, kyoto”

1. on 19 Nov 2010 at 2:03 am Lael

WOW,what an amazing array of goodies!
    Everything is so orderly and cheerful and bright.

I tried roasted chesnuts when I was a teen in Vancouver and was so disappointed to find I hated them. May be now that my palate has developed a second try is in order.

2. on 19 Nov 2010 at 7:01 am Julie

Looks like you are having a great time! I love checking out your pics and hearing about the many adventures!

Oh, and the signs say “Unagi”.

3. on 19 Nov 2010 at 8:20 am kelly

Thanks Julie! Kyoto and Osaka were amazing. Hope the dump of snow in C-town this week did not depress you too much. I recommend a drive to Canmore or Banff if that is the case. It always makes me feel warm and happy when I see snow there.

Roasted chestnuts have a great texture and flavour if done right. Maybe they were just bad nuts, Lael? 🙁

4. on 19 Nov 2010 at 11:03 am The Celiac Husband

“Hope the dump of snow in C-town this week did not depress you too much. I recommend a drive to Canmore or Banff if that is the case.”

Pffft. Yes, depressing. Same in Canmore or Banff.

France on prescription would help.

5. on 19 Nov 2010 at 12:03 pm kelly

Oh, I know they have snow in Banff or Canmore. I just seem to enjoy the snow there so much more. Maybe that has to do with being on minivacation while I am there, though. 🙂