Food: Edmonton10 Jan 2010 06:19 pm

bulk barn edmonton

I know, I know. I’m late to the party on this one. But I have spent most of December either locked down because of the cold or because the video game Fallout 3 is ruling my life, and I have been sitting on this post. But I’ll tell you right now, if you enjoy baking or just like having access to a huge selection of products, get your ass over to Bulk Barn now.

Many of you who are well-versed in Edmonton’s food are well aware of Bulk Barn and its opening in town. It is a Ontario-based chain that opened their first franchise in Edmonton in late November. My mom had just been singing the praises of the store on her trip through Lethbridge enroute to Montana in September and how good it was when she was in Thunder Bay. Well it is finally here.

So what makes it different than the already good bulk sections of Save On Foods and Superstore? For one, the selection. There are thousands of products here. They may not all be in rotation at the same point, as some products are seasonal, but there is a huge cross section of items. Second: everything is fresh, well stocked, and clean. Also, the items can be measured so that there is little waste when you use them, stopping products you use only a few times a year from going stale.  Lastly, the prices are amazing.

Don’t think the items are limited to just flour and spices, either. There are wet products, pet products, natural foods and supplements as well as specialty cake pans for rent, and baking tools.

As a baker, I went nuts buying specialty flour and ingredients. I also picked up a friend’s favourite hard to find snack: chocolate dipped jujubes, and mailed them to her in Calgary.  Ibought items for snacking on, for sharing at the office… and for eating in the car ride home.

bulk barn edmonton

Pet products, ranging from bird seed to dog food and hamster munchies. No crickets for MY pets though.

bulk barn edmonton

The wet bar features nut butters.

bulk barn edmonton

Nifty machine for corn syrup. This is where most of my ingredients for marshmallows came from. I was surprisingly accurate in measuring out the products, so there was little waste: something I was really happy about.

bulk barn edmonton

Pipette bag tips for icing and decorating.

bulk barn edmonton

Cake pans were a mere $1.99 a day (with deposit) and if you could think of it, they had it. (Well, mostly…)

bulk barn edmonton

Clean clean clean! It should also be mentioned there were a lot of bags, pencils and twist ties. No struggling with broken or missing pens. As a bonus, for those of you who do not like writing down numbers on tiny tags with tiny pencils, the staff will look up SKU codes at the checkout. You’ll save time if you do it yourself, though.

bulk barn edmonton

Of course, a huge selection of candy, including over 40 Christmas products for the season. These jawbreakers were the size of ping-pong balls.

Many MANY spices here.

bulk barn edmonton

Rainbow of sprinkles, and other baking decorations.

bulk barn edmonton

The best was that they had take-home directions for many products, such as buttermilk power and soya milk powder.

bulk barn edmonton

Nuts on sale. Ranging from regular dry roasted to specially flavoured and smoked.

bulk barn edmonton

More cooler wet bar products. Kind of industrial looking, but clean.

bulk barn edmonton

The offerings of just one aisle. I love that “health food” is down the same aisle as candy and chocolate.

bulk barn edmonton

Many gluten-free and restricted diet products here. A god send for those of you who find it hard to get these products, or if you find them pricey.

So, Bulk Barn is basically amazing. I can only describe it as turning up the volume on bulk foods. Take your average product, such as yogurt covered raisins and multiply it: suddenly there are yogurt covered cherries, blueberries and cranberries. You buy how much you need, they offer discounts to students and seniors, and you get coupons when you check out for use on future visits. I highly recommend the honey mustard pretzels by the way.

Other Edmonton food bloggers have long ago written about this place, including Chris over at Eating is the Hard Part.

Bulk Barn
2077 98 Street
(In South Edmonton Common, near Superstore and Bed Bath & Beyond)
(780) 461-4454

7 Responses to “bulk barn, edmonton”

1. on 10 Jan 2010 at 6:52 pm H.Peter

I can’t wait for them to open here in Calgary.

We are just now getting FAMOSO’s Pizza. Long overdue.

2. on 11 Jan 2010 at 12:41 am kelly

H.Peter: You’ll love the gluten-free stuff! Also, I live within a minute walking time of a Famoso, and I would trade every franchise in Edmonton for just one decent tortilleria. 🙁

3. on 27 Jan 2010 at 12:32 pm Heather

Hey! I am glad you’re as pumped about Bulk Barn as I am. I am from NS, and I was SOOOOOO excited to hear that Bulk Barn opened here as I frequented them often back home. They are fabulous for cake decorating stuff!

4. on 05 Sep 2010 at 1:04 pm Dean S

First, I am wondering as to how many of you commented above are really working for Bulk Barn.
    I just came from visiting the new location in Edmonton and discovered the following:
    1- The cashier has to look up every code, and twice she entered the wrung code.
    2- You would think that a bulk store is cheaper! Not this one prices are just as high as any other store, saving? May be, excellent value, I do not think so.
    3- Will I be shopping again, yes , but will make sure you understand $ value per 100 gram or so much per LB or per KG , you will be surprised to learn that the price for this bulk food store is higher than your super store .

5. on 07 Nov 2010 at 5:31 pm Melissa

I agree with Dean…I priced out many of the staples that I buy at Superstore (dried chick peas, lentils, etc), and the price is quite a bit higher at Bulk Barn than packaged ones in the ethnic food aisle at Superstore. Just my two cents worth!

6. on 29 Sep 2011 at 12:30 am Cristen

I disagree with Melissa and Dean.
    1. It depends on the cashier – I’ve been shopping at BB since it arrived in Edmonton (and for years in Toronto) and I’ve only had one experience where the cashier had to look up the code. Please relax – Cashiers are HUMAN – they’re allowed to be wrong sometimes. I’d like to see Dean memorize a thousand different codes that constantly change with new items added and not have to look things up or make a mistake. (Dean must have a photographic memory)
    2. I think most of the prices are good at bulk barn (the spices especially!) Melissa – no one is telling you to buy EVERYTHING at one store… be a smart consumer and shop around.
    3 Dean/Melissa – Yes some things at BB are more expensive per 100 grams than they would be in a 1kg bag at Superstore, but if you only needed 100 grams, is it really saving money if you end up throwing out the other 900 grams because you didn’t use it before it went bad/stale etc?

I’d much rather buy what I need and possibly pay a little more than buy a lot of something that is cheaper but will end up getting thrown away.

7. on 02 Jan 2012 at 4:27 pm asmartape

Hey Dean it looks like you entered the “wrung” letter. When you figure out the difference between your head and your ass, then you can complain.