Food and Food: Edmonton30 Aug 2009 06:12 pm

urban china, edmonton

Seems that my craving for asian food has helped me discover some new downtown eateries (in development) lately.

Spurred by my desire for sushi, I spotted a Healthfare sign in a window front on Jasper Avenue recently. Then, I saw this (above) Sunday at 106 Avenue and 101 Street while on a Vietnamese submarine run to Van Loc. The restaurant, which was the site of a former Rosie’s restaurant (a small local restaurant chain), seems set to become “Urban China.”

The proprietress, Evelyn “Rosie” Barnett recently passed away, but her restaurants/popular karaoke lounges dot the city, offering diner fare and classic Sunday dinners. Seems this former establishment with its glassed in atrium will be turning into an asian restaurant now. Nice to see some renewal going on in the area, instead of seeing restaurants being boarded up and forgotten as their “For Lease” signs blow in the wind.

6 Responses to “Another new resto in downtown Edmonton?”

1. on 04 Sep 2009 at 11:01 pm Roz

haha dan and I saw this last weekend and we were commenting on how “cheap” it looks…reminds us of A & W with the glass bubble area. But you’re right, it is nice to see some renewal going on in the area!!! In the future, I’m sure that area will be revived, esp with the amazing condos going up around there! did you eat there?

2. on 12 Sep 2009 at 5:49 pm vee

I live in edmonton too. been seeing that restaurant being built when i pass by chinatown or downtown. any idea when it’s opened?? i also heard that the owner is from another chinese restaurant, im guessing dynasty? well anyways, do you think the food will be good, or just one of those restaurants adjusting to westerners?

3. on 12 Sep 2009 at 11:42 pm Kelly

No idea when Urban China is due to open, vee. They were still gutting it, so I suspect sometime in late fall or winter. Dynasty and Golden Rice Bowl are both possible sources for the management team and it wouldn’t surprise me if either one of those were behind it. I’ll report back when I visit. I am hoping the food is authentic as well!

4. on 20 Dec 2009 at 10:41 am Susan Hydzik

The restaurant is now open, and is super delicious and very well decorated inside! I’d recommend everyone check it out!

5. on 20 Dec 2009 at 2:47 pm Kelly

I didn’t enjoy the dim sum we had there on a weekday. However my boyfriend went on a weekend and enjoyed it. I’ll have to return.

6. on 21 Dec 2009 at 1:07 am The Roving Taster

I was there last week for a quick dinner before the hockey game. The owner greeted us at the door as recognized my pops from his old resto, which we frequented. He recommended a few dishes for us. We gobbled them up happily. I’m looking forward to returning with a larger posse so that we can order more dishes!