It was my mom’s birthday on Friday. She was working, so I made something light, easy and fun to eat for her and her co-workers and clients to enjoy: angel food cupcakes with balsamic strawberries and whipped cream.
It was my first time making from-scratch angel food cake. It was so delicious, I will never return to those spongy, greasy pre-packaged ones in the supermarket. 12 egg whites go into the batter though; that’s crazy.
Angel Food Cupcakes
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar (sifted)
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Let egg whites sit in a bowl for an hour or so to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Sift icing sugar, flour, salt together into a bowl.
3. Beat egg whites til frothy. Add cream of tartar, continue beating until soft peaks form. Add granulated sugar gradually, and continue beating, until white thicken and form droopy peaks. Beat in vanilla.
4. Sprinkle sifted dry ingredients in small batches, folding into whites.
5. Fill cupcake pan tins 3/4 full, and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
6. Cool, and use a butter knife to loosen the edges, then pop out the cupcake. The recipe made about 30 cupcakes.
The strawberries were easy. I hulled and sliced them, sprinkled with sugar and balsamic and let them sit and marinate for a while. They were so good. I’m adding some to my salad for lunch.