Food and Food: Edmonton08 May 2008 11:53 pm

Okay so no one that lives outside of Edmonton is actually going to give a shit about this, but a new grocery store opened downtown in Edmonton, to much fanfare; atleast around the newsroom (as I’m sure was the case in every office downtown today.) It’s something the Sobeys chain is trying: “Urban Fresh” concept. Other places have tried this in Edmonton and failed, miserably. Edmontonians are just more into Moxies than they are delicious ingredients for home cooked meals, I fear.

I was concerned it was all hype, but then some photos from a secret ‘behind the scenes’ tour trickled in, then some columns were written about it by some journalists and then finally tonight I couldn’t stand it anymore, I HAD TO GO. (I had promised myself I would wait until atleast this weekend when things settled down a bit, but I could not do it.)

The place is amazing. There are cheeses the Italian Centre does not have. FOURTEEN kinds of dried mushrooms. Preprepared and uncooked meats and veggies of every kind, including some purple carrots I bought. Delicious bakery with breads by the slice (!). A gorgeous floral area. A salsa bar!!! A sushi bar!!!!! A cozy coffee bar curling around a fireplace, with roll up doors to Jasper Avenue and an licensed oyster bar next to that.

They really are catering to the downtown execs there for lunch or who don’t want to cook at night, with lots of preprepared meals, though. Normally I’d turn my nose up at these, but they actually looked edible and will be great in a pinch on a ‘I forgot lunch today’ day.

Add to that the downtown farmer’s market on Saturdays, and I nearly cried a tear of joy tonight. It is almost like we have our own little mini Whole Foods. *sigh*

7 Responses to “Sobeys”

1. on 09 May 2008 at 8:12 am Tory

If Bruce and I were still at The Ten…it would have been great!! How are The Icon towers doing behind them??

2. on 09 May 2008 at 1:21 pm Kelly

Tory; It’s a sparkling beacon above downtown. One of the towers looks like it’s about a year away from people living in it, the other has yet to be started.

Mike and I went back today for lunch and oysters, which were pretty good! Awesome people watching. I’m so excited about this place!!!!

3. on 11 May 2008 at 12:24 pm Tory

I always thought that the revitalized downtown started on this block with Icon and Sobeys…and it’s turning out to be true.

4. on 11 May 2008 at 5:37 pm Kelly

Nah. Every year they say it starts with a new block. I’m just happy Edmonton’s city planners haven’t scared everyone away yet. Getting rid of the Cecil was a big deal though.

Interestingly, the top two floors of Sobey haven’t been rented out yet as retail/office space. And people are already bitching there isn’t any parking.

5. on 14 May 2008 at 11:44 pm Forno Oven

Negative comparisons aside, the author of this blog has been to Moxie’s within the last week.

6. on 15 May 2008 at 7:58 am kelly

Shut up, Forno Oven. You’re lucky they were open so late to satisfy a certain Oven’s craving for nachos.

7. on 15 May 2008 at 7:59 am kelly

Also, our server had to be the most awkward person I’ve met in the last five years. Holy shiiiiit.