General25 Jul 2006 03:09 pm

This past weekend, my boyfriend and tried making our own Ethiopian dishes. This was prompted by cost cutting measures and terrible service at one of our favorite restaurants. We go once a week, and are treated with the same cold service each time. We’ve requested substitutions on our combination platters to a defiant “NO”. So it was time to take matters into our own hands.

We made a few dishes, all of which were delicious. Ethiopian food, like much of Africa and the Middle East, is eaten with your right hand and a bread, in this case a spongey crepe-like one called injera. Injera is made of an ancient grain that is hard to find in some cities so we made ours out of regular flour and club soda. It wasn’t that great.

Today, after an extensive Google search, I think I found a few places in Edmonton that sell the particular grain we need. But I also found a website that will ship you premade injera. Also, if you so desire, a ‘big sheep and Johnnnie [sic] Walker Black‘ for just $99.
WTF.

5 Responses to “Africa, Mon.”

1. on 25 Jul 2006 at 3:14 pm Kelly

In addition, they sell “A delicious cake and a bottle of Hennessy is a brilliant choice that will help both kids and adults enjoy the holiday.” Mike also just pointed out you can buy one of Haile Selasse’s medals. AN ORIGINAL! FOR $65!!

2. on 25 Jul 2006 at 6:16 pm monkeyster

They sell Injera at an African convience store on 106th ave. If you’re going up towards 106th on 109th, turn left on 106th and drive a couple of blocks. You’ll see a couple of African restaurants and then on your left (on a corner) is a convenience store/specialty shop. I know it’s not the same as making it yourself but they sell a large bag of it and it’s cheap (or at least was, I haven’t been in a few months). They also sell berbere, which took me FOREVER to hunt down when I started learning to make things Ethiopian. Also, if you go up 124th street long enough (past de ville, past the carribean restaurant, etc, around 118th ave’ish…), on the left side of the street, also on a corner, is a small convenience store that sells big tubs of berbere for cheap and other spices you might want.

3. on 25 Jul 2006 at 6:25 pm monkeyster

And by convience, I meant convenience.

4. on 26 Jul 2006 at 12:16 pm Kelly

Thanks monkeyster; I saw the place on 124th the other day, but it was closed. After peeking in the window I wasn’t sure if it sold what I wanted, BUT NOW I KNOW! Thanks!

5. on 14 Aug 2011 at 1:37 am Carroll B. Merriman

Do people actually believe it?