General14 Dec 2004 10:45 am

A friend and I were up late the other night looking through people’s open directories of photos. Basically, it’s like picking up someone else’s photos at the local Wal*Mart and flipping through them. You don’t know the story behind the images and you lose all context. It’s pretty cool.

Today, I bring you images from directories with the words “80th birthday” or “big birthday” in them

babas 80th

Mom looks pretty good at 80

null

15 Responses to “Open Directory Madness!”

1. on 14 Dec 2004 at 11:11 am Mark

Holy Fuck. Kelly, you have to put a “Not safe for Work” disclaimer for these sort of things, or I will not visit your website regularly.

2. on 14 Dec 2004 at 11:50 am Design Monkey

That’s why everyone needs one of these.

3. on 14 Dec 2004 at 1:25 pm Mark

Heh, well, you don’t have to remove it, Kelly. Just put a link to it with a “NSFW” indicator. :p

I’m not trying to encourage censorship; some of us just have extremely anal administrators (no pun intended) that take their terms of use way too seriously.

4. on 14 Dec 2004 at 1:58 pm Mark

And, Design Monkey, my office is in an open lab. Yeah, my first post was pretty harsh–but I was really embarrassed; there was actually a lab admin in my cubicle section, and I could have got in trouble. The fact is some of us simply can’t afford to visit sites that don’t use the simple NSFW warning. ๐Ÿ™

5. on 14 Dec 2004 at 3:22 pm kelly

Mark, the original picture was a baby on a ventilator and I nearly shit my pants when I came back here to see the infamous “goatse” image up instead of the picture I intended, discouraging me to take someone’s bandwidth. I’M SORRY! ๐Ÿ™

6. on 14 Dec 2004 at 5:44 pm sharon

congrats on your new home! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. on 14 Dec 2004 at 6:46 pm Mark

No worries, Kelly; I should have guessed. ๐Ÿ™‚

In fact, I shouldn’t have freaked out about it. The tech guy didn’t see anything–and even if he did, it’s clearly not something I was intentionally looking for. I didn’t have a weekend (8AM – midnight every night in my office stressing over a paper), so I was just on edge. ๐Ÿ˜›

P.S. There’s a guy in the bottom-right of the first photo that looks a lot like George (The Donald’s associate) in The Apprentice…

8. on 14 Dec 2004 at 9:25 pm Babs

HAPPY FREEKIN’ BIRTHDAY!!!! And nothing says happy birthday like a open handed slap on the azz. Don’t worry, it comes with a rain check. I’ll be sure to remember.

9. on 14 Dec 2004 at 10:31 pm mike

welcome to your new home(page)
    guess i should update my link, huh?

10. on 15 Dec 2004 at 12:29 am kelly

And nothing says happy birthday like a open handed slap on the azz. Donโ€™t worry, it comes with a rain check. Iโ€™ll be sure to remember.

You better, J. YOU BETTER. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thank you everyone for stopping by and for your birthday wishes. ๐Ÿ˜€

11. on 15 Dec 2004 at 8:27 am 32-P

Happy birthday. Why do you have the same birthday as my other friend Kelly? Are you the other Kelly in a wig? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

12. on 15 Dec 2004 at 12:51 pm kelly

32-P: In response to your question, I have this to show you: http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/gif/birthday.gif

There is no variable for name though. ๐Ÿ™

13. on 15 Dec 2004 at 1:46 pm Design Monkey

Hey Mark, I didn’t mean to sound like I was reprimanding you for the NSFW comment, I was just linking to Kelly’s old warning to open directory snoopers. I’m not in a position to visit NSFW sites either but thankfully wasn’t treated to the “goatse” image.

And you’re still awesome Kelly, even though you’re all old and such now.

14. on 15 Dec 2004 at 2:13 pm kelly

I hope those guys in the bottom picture show up at my birthday on Saturday. Seriously.

15. on 21 Feb 2006 at 7:36 pm TreeFrog

Terrific Blog you have. Peace Out.
    TreeFrog